Phone: 02 9241 3272
Mobile: 0411 393 367
2 Pottinger St,
The Rocks, Sydney, NSW 2000
What is preconception care?
Preconception is a comprehensive approach for those wishing to conceive and it involves both partners. It embraces diet, lifestyle, environmental issues and at the same time treating pre-existing health problems. However some health care professionals still see preconception care as being relevant only in cases where there is evidence that the couple may pass on some genetic abnormality or a pregnancy may risk the health of the mother or baby. By maximising the health of the couple before consciously conceiving, minimises complications of pregnancy and produces a healthy wanted baby.
Why bother with preconception care?
- Preconception care is a responsible approach that a couple makes prior to trying to consciously conceive.
- When healthy couples fall pregnant they tend to have healthy babies that are carried to full term and are usually delivered without medical intervention.
- For the mother an optimum postnatal experience with the risk factors for postnatal depression minimized as the pregnancy is planned and wanted.
- Underpinning the protocol for initiating preconception care is a healthy baby.
- Planned pregnancies are still the exception rather than the rule, with an average of 50% occurring in adult women. It is not to say that they are not wanted, it’s just that with conscious conception there are likely to be better health outcomes.
- Detailed case history of both partners - medical, dietary, lifestyle and environmental health.
- Medical tests maybe appropriate – semen analysis, genital swabs for infections are the starting point
- Naturopathic tests – Hemaview is a good staring point for general health and a hair mineral analysis; check mineral status + heavy metal load
- Treat pre-existing health problems of both partners
How long will it take?
This depends on a number of factors, in Australia the median age of a first time mother is 29.7years. With delayed childbearing comes the increased risk of infertility, twinning, chromosomal abnormalities, miscarriage and complications in pregnancy . Also the health problems the couple share and time it may take to treat them + compliance to the treatment plan will impact on the time it will take to conceive.
After treating pre-existing health problems allow about a 3 month lead in of preconception care before trying to consciously conceive.After 6-9 months the patient will get a fair assessment of how they are going and hopefully pregnant. A visit every 6 - 8 weeks keeps the patients informed and involved.
Wellness Rocks is located in the city and is not always convenient for patients who live in the suburbs of Sydney or in the country. In order to supply them with herbs and supplements we have an efficient mail order system where the patient phones or e-mails & goods are express posted and delivered the next day.
Preconception is a comprehensive approach for those wishing to conceive and involves both partners. It embraces diet, lifestyle, environmental issues and at the same time treating pre-existing health problems. What have you got to lose?